Wednesday, August 13, 2008

When you're burnt out, where do you find your bliss?

This has been (another) mentally, creatively, and physically draining week. Deadlines, last minute "oh yeah, can you do this when you have a moment, by which I really mean drop what you're doing and do this instead" projects, nearly completely sedentary for five or more straight hours except for keystrokes and mousing. It's all I can do but flat out lose it. But rather than let that happen, I'm trying to seek out the positives and not let the negatives take control. It's hard. I fear that one day I might lose that struggle.

After twelve-plus hour workdays, by the time I get home I'm a tangled mass of exhaustion and frustration; low blood sugar makes for a very short fuse. Any and every little annoyance or inconvenience pushes me to the brink. But then I remember that I must keep in control, find the things that bring back my bliss. My list of bliss builders is small, but mighty. The excitement a friend discovering a new passion, developing a new skill, shares with me. Reading about the adventures of another friend on a road trip across the nation. And on nights like tonight, it's realizing that it's Wednesday and my TiVo is happily recording a new episode of Mythbusters so I can enjoy it while I microwave a frozen dinner.

So that's where I find my bliss these days. Where do you find yours?

---

[5 minutes later…] — So it turns out that for some unexplained reason, the "new" episode of Mythbusters that TiVo was recording is actually a repeat from last season, even though the schedule says it's supposed to be brand-spaking new. Well that's just the prefect way to end the day. Screw off Discovery Channel, I'm going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment