Sunday, June 22, 2008

Dreamescapes

Maybe it's the heat, or the long hours at work, I'm not sure but something has been toying with my dreams. A couple months back, I started having some pretty weird dreams. Mostly they've been good dreams, relating to travel and trips. Some have been so interesting that I don't want to wake up from them, no matter if they start getting a bit twisted or unrealistic. My alarm will go off and I'll hit the snooze. Turn over and hope to jump back into the dream in the same place, which rarely happens, and when it does things usually start morphing and the plot turns into a different story than I was originally staring in.

In the last couple weeks, though, I've been having a hard time sleeping all the way through the night. I've been waking up at odd hours as the last resort to get out of a dream I didn't want to be in anymore. There's been two kinds of dreams that have been responsible so far. Working at a job I've never done before, without any training, no one around to help me out, and worst of all, no information available that explains what I'm supposed to be doing. Worry. Panic. Nightmare.

The other kind is where I'm being chased. The baddies run the gamut from wolves, to intruders/robbers, to zombies. Yes, zombies. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as why these dreams happen, no pattern that I've noticed. But they've been happening with such a frequency that now I know to wake myself up upon recognizing exactly what kind of dream I'm in, or when it starts to get too dicey. Running. Cold sweat. Terror.

I wish I knew what was causing these dreams, both good and bad. I'm a little concerned that I wake up remembering them so clearly. On the bright side, I usually don't remember them beyond my morning shower. Maybe I should start keeping a dream journal? It would have to be a tape recorder or something like that because I really don't think I'd be able to legibly write down my dreams seconds after waking up.

Some dreams I want to escape into, others I want to escape from. Maybe my brain is trying to tell me something about my waking life?

No comments:

Post a Comment