Sunday, November 9, 2008

Thank you, Red Sweater Software!

Thank heavens for the guys and gals at Red Sweater Software for developing MarsEdit. The majority of my posts in the past several months (this review has been a long time in coming) have been written and posted in using MarsEdit and I can't begin to tell you how much more enjoyable it's made the blogging experience for me. Is it perfect? No. But it is the best solution I've found that's actually made it a pleasure to blog.

That screen shot to the right, that's an actual view of my desktop while working in MarsEdit. I love, love, LOVE that I can customize the preview window so that it accurately represents what my post will look like when it's actually published to Blogger. That's a big time saver!

My wish list of improvements is quite short and by no means should be a reason to prevent you from buying this application:

1. Support for syncing of local drafts between multiple computers. For those of us who have both a desktop and laptop, this would be a dream and would allow us added flexibility in our writing practices.

2. A version for the iPhone/iPod touch. Now that's definitely easier said than done, but for anyone who's tried using Blogger's web interface for creating a post on one of these devices already know that an iPhone app would be a dream come true.

3. The ability to set a publication date/time using Blogger's new-ish future posting feature.

Like I said, MarsEdit's current features far out-weight my wish list. $30 might seem like a lot to spend on an app that helps you write blog posts, but if you use Blogger, I'm pretty sure that after 30-days (coincidently, exactly how long the free trial period lasts) you'll be sold on it. I can't imagine blogging using anything else!

---

On a side note, this application can't fix stupid…like when I changed the post status default to draft early last week and forgot to change it back. The last several days of posts have been stuck in draft on Blogger because I forgot change my setting and because the preview in MarsEdit is so awesome I rarely actually visit my own blog. Oops! Sorry for what seems like a flood of posts today!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kenny
    Love your'tag', style and reviews.
    Would you like to sink your teeth into a heftier review of a new gay site?
    Email me at
    jeff@planetromeo.com

    ReplyDelete