Sunday, March 25, 2007

"Don't try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust." (aka: I love Newsradio)

That's a line from the fabulous TV show Newsradio. And this past Tuesday marked the final Newsradio DVD (season 5) to hit stores. I love Newsradio. It's quite possibly one of the best TV shows of all time. Needless to say I picked up my copy earlier in the week. I'm both excited and saddened as this season was the first season without the incomparable Phil Hartman playing the wickedly funny character of Bill McNeal, lead anchor at New York's WNYX all-news radio station. It was also the final season of the show. The entire cast was amazing, I can't think of any other ensemble past or present that was as perfectly matched as these guys and gals. Not to mention the writing…simply brilliant! Judging by the fan websites and even fan fiction still out there, I'm not alone in thinking so. Phil's untimely death is still something that weighs heavily on me, even though I didn't know him. It's odd that someone can feel such a connection with someone they never met, which I think goes to show how impacting and powerful laughter truly is.

Last night Gay Roomie and I watched "Bill Moves On" which is the first episode of the fifth season and the first without Bill. It was hard to watch as the cast did their best to hold it together. After it was over I started to reflected on the day that Phil was murdered, and how I was glued to the news coverage. As I was talking I felt myself starting to get choked up. Just writing this now has me feeling a bit choked up. Does anyone else ever feel that way about a TV show? Maybe I'm just a big ol' softy. Even though Joe Rogan shirtless on the show leaves me anything but feeling soft. ;-)

I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed in the production quality of this DVD. The menus for the commentaries don't work as they did on previous DVDs of the show, and the picture quality seems quite poor at times. The extras are a bit thin, which maybe should have been expected as each season's release found fewer and fewer commentaries and special features. If you haven't watched the show, or haven't watched it since it was on 10 years ago, why not check out a couple episodes on iTunes (season 1 was just released) or just rent a season or two (or five) on Netflix.

Phil/Bill, we miss you. And your adaquatulence. Good times, good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment