Sunday, March 4, 2007

It's worked for Ricky Martin

I wasn't planning—or expecting—to post a "deep thought" type of entry any time soon, but this one has been on my mind all weekend. Plus I had a juice glass of cheap red wine, which isn't helping prevent me from typing. So here's the rub… why do str8 guys (and I'm not saying all of them) get so defensive when someone assumes that they are gay? Ok, that's probably more obvious an answer than it should be. (If you answered "ignorance breeds ignorance" you win!) But flip that question around and you're left wondering, do gay guys get upset if someone thinks that they're str8? See, that's a much more interesting question.

If it's "acceptable" for str8s to be horrified for being considered gay, is it acceptable for gays (and lesbians, gotta cover the bases) to feel equally abhorred? Cause oddly enough, it's never been a big deal to me either way. Now those that know me are probably shaking their heads and quipping, "When did someone think you were straight?!" Even when I wasn't out yet, I didn't make a big fuss over someone accusing me of being gay. And that's another thing, why do words like "accusing" always seem to show up in those situations? Sure, the right-wingers will shoot back with "that's because you're supposed to be str8 so you shouldn't feel any shame in people thinking you're str8." The ignorance of these people scares me… I wish I could ask them when they chose to be str8, or chose their skin color, or food allergies. Somethings we just weren't given a choice on, and that's not a bad thing.

Ok, I'm getting a bit off topic. Let's rewind to what started this whole deep-thought thing. A good friend, let's call him Ricky, called me because he was concerned that his coworkers in his intimately small institution were debating whether he was gay or straight. My immediate reaction was, "Well, at least they care enough to talk about you. They're showing an interest!" Maybe not the most supportive thing to say, but honestly, I didn't see it as a big deal. I mean hell, latin heart-throb Ricky Martin has been using his ambiguity to his advantage for years now. On the other hand, you have jack-asses like Lance Bass who come out with big fanfare and then list their stipulations… saying, "I only date straight-acting guys." Whatever. Lance it's obviously to even my mother that you are a huge queeny bottom and you're not making the world a better place for anyone by playing the straight-acting card. A dick is a dick, wether it's attached to a straight-acting guy or not, and you like it up your ass. You're not the first. You're not the last. Get over it, get over yourself, and just be happy that someone actually wants to put theirs in you.

I guess what I'm getting at is what's the big deal about what gender you dig? Why should it matter? Why does it have to be just one? And why is it still an issue all the way in 2007? Unfortunately it is still an issue, and may always be. So, Ricky, the best advice I can give to you is to make the best of it. You know who you dig, and that's all that matters. I hope you find someone who digs you back. And if Lance Bass comes a knocking, run!

For those expecting something more humorous, my apologies. Here's a link to something funny (and slightly more ranting) to tide you over.

4 comments:

  1. as a straight woman who has a habit of dating guys who always get hit on by gay men, i have to say it's a compliment.

    let's face it, you boys are far more picky than we women are. almost all of the straight guys i know see it as an ego boost.

    i was at a gay bar with friends and this very hot chick was there with a bunch of people. super feminine. i assumed that, like me, she was a straight chick there with her gay friends. bets were made, i was totally wrong. she didn't seem at all insulted when i asked her, but she did say that she doesn't get hit on a lot because most people assume she's straight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shhhhh… don't blow my cover! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take it as a compliment. I'd better. It happens every five minutes.

    ReplyDelete